Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Stay with me

There's a lady on work who's being picked on. As we're renovating and moving around offices, her department is actually lobbying for her office to be on the other side of the building, even though there are a few available offices near them. My heart goes out to her. Just last week, she called and talked to me for maybe 15 minutes (possibly talking the whole time), nearly repeating herself about some topic that we both know I already know about. At the time, I did my best to reply kindly and at the same time, cut her off. Now, I wonder if she just needed someone to talk to, and if she was reaching out to others. Now, I would have listened to her all day. Seeing her in the bathroom makes me want to say hi, ask how she's doing, listen, and tell her that she looks nice. Now, I want to do that. Wouldn't it be great if I didn't need to know her background? That I didn't need to know that work is probably a tough place for her, in order for me to try to make it better? What if I just treated people like that all the time? I feel like I've learned a lesson and I want it to stick. We never know when that person needed our patience, and needed our smile. Why not just give it?

Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. - Phil. 2:3-4 (ESV)

via

No comments:

Post a Comment